Arabic/ اللغة العربية
- Information about the library in Arabic /معلومات حول المكتبة باللغة العربية.
- Library books for children in Arabic / كُتب المكتبة للأطفال باللغة العربية.
- Information about the library in French / Information sur la bibliothèque en français
- Library books for children in French / Livres pour enfants en français
Japanese / 日本語
- Information about the library in Japanese / 日本語 での 図書館情報
- Library books for children in Japanese / 日本語の児童図書
- Information about the library in Tagalog / Mga impormasyon tungkol sa sild-aklatan sa wikang Tagalog
- Library books for children in Tagalog / Mga aklat pambata sa wilkang Tagalog
Searching for Children's Books by Language
To search for children’s books in other languages, enter “juvenile language” plus the name of the language into a SUBJECT KEYWORD search in our online catalogue.
List of languages for which there are children’s picture books available. Most multilingual materials are located at the AC Hunter Library in St. John’s, but can be delivered to any library in Newfoundland and Labrador via Inter-Library Loan. Ask your local library for details.
These resources are the result of The Welcome Project, a community consultation project aimed at making our libraries more welcoming for newcomers. The top priorities identified by our community participants were: translation of library materials into the languages most spoken in our province, purchase of multilingual picture books for children, and outreach visits. Thank you to all the participants who took part in our consultations and help identify these first steps. This project, including translation of pamphlets and purchase of multilingual children’s books in 47 languages, was made possible with generous support from:
- St. John's Local Immigration Partnership
- City of St. John's
- Cities For People (an initiative of the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation in partnership with Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador